Last Updated on May 3, 2023
Bart Durham is Not Dead & Still Alive
Contrary to rumors and misinformation, Bart Durham, the renowned Tennessee personal injury attorney, is alive and continues to actively practice law. All the search results that related to “when did Bart Durhman Die” are mostly misleading information.
In this article, we debunk false information about Bart Durham’s death and provide a detailed account of his life, career, and accomplishments. From his early years to his successful legal practice, we explore the life of a dedicated attorney who has spent over 35 years representing clients in personal injury cases.
Early Life and Education
Birth and Family Background
Bart Durham was born on March 5, 1935, in Ripley, Tennessee. He grew up in a farming community, where his father served as a lawyer, World War I veteran, and the mayor of Ripley.
Before entering law school, Bart served in the US Army for two years, gaining valuable experience and discipline that would later contribute to his successful legal career.
Law School Graduation
After completing his military service, Bart graduated from law school in May 1963. Armed with his legal degree, he embarked on a career that would span over three decades and make a lasting impact on personal injury law.
Assistant United States Attorney (1966-1969)
Bart’s legal career began in earnest when he joined then United States Attorney General Thomas L. Robinson as an assistant United States Attorney. During his tenure from 1966 to 1969, Bart prosecuted the Ku Klux Klan leadership from Jackson, who had robbed a Memphis bank for the Klan.
Assistant Attorney General in Nashville (1969-1975)
After losing his job when Richard Nixon was appointed, Bart moved on to work as an assistant attorney general in Nashville from 1969 to 1975. As a prosecuting attorney in the state attorney general’s office, he argued two cases before the US Supreme Court and had over a hundred cases before the US Court of Appeals. Bart was also in charge of Federal Civil Rights cases throughout Tennessee and regularly appeared in every US District court from Memphis to East Tennessee.
Private Practice (1975-Present)
In 1975, Bart began his private practice, teaming up with Henry Haile, a former colleague from the Attorney General’s office. He later established his own firm, Bart Durham Injury Law, which has become well-known for its effective representation of clients in various personal injury cases. Bart’s practice areas include animal and dog bites, brain injury, car accidents, construction accidents, motorcycle accidents, premises liability, truck accidents, product liability, serious injury, wrongful death, and workers’ compensation.
Pioneering TV Advertisements for Lawyers
Bart Durham was the first Nashville attorney to embrace TV advertisements for lawyers after it became legal in 1977. His firm has since become widely recognized for its innovative use of TV commercials and billboards to advertise its services.
Despite facing significant health challenges, including triple bypass surgery in September 2007, Bart Durham has remained resilient. He has been hospitalized four times and has had stents placed on three occasions. After his bypass surgery, Bart’s kidney failed, but he defied the odds and continues to work in his profession.
Marriage and Children
In December 2012, Bart married his partner, Cindy, who is of Asian descent. Together, they have two sons, Blair and Colin Durham. Blair, who is also an attorney, works alongside his father and manages the family firm. Colin is a Samford University graduate and is married to Michele, also an attorney.
Bart Durham is a proud grandfather to two grandchildren, Ethan and Addy. He cherishes his family life and enjoys spending time with his loved ones.
Interesting Facts About Bart Durham
- As a young boy, Bart experienced his first elevator ride in Nashville, Tennessee. His third cousin, a practicing lawyer, would take him to his office and lift him up to press the elevator buttons.
- Bart was working at the Federal Courthouse Office, just a couple of blocks away from where Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated by James Earl Ray. He later accompanied FBI agents to the boarding house from where the fatal shot was fired and even stood at the exact spot where Dr. King was when the tragedy occurred.
- Bart and his firm have gained a reputation for their innovative and memorable commercials over the years.
- When not working, Bart is dedicated to giving back to his community, participating in various charity events and organizations to help the less privileged.
- In August 2006, Bart experienced chest pain and later underwent triple bypass surgery in 2007.
- Bart’s advice for becoming a great personal injury lawyer includes having a strong work ethic and displaying empathy for clients.
Bart Durham Case Reviews
- Bart started his legal career working alongside his father in Ripley, Tennessee, before his father passed away.
- From 1966 to 1969, Bart served as an Assistant United States Attorney in Memphis, Tennessee.
- During this time, Bart worked with Thomas L. Robinson, a U.S. Attorney he regards as a fierce but highly respected mentor who instilled in him a strong work ethic.
- Bart moved to Nashville, Tennessee, in 1969 and worked as an Assistant Attorney General until 1975. This role allowed him more time for research and involved working on civil rights cases across the region.
- In 1975, Bart began his private practice with his partner, Henry Haile. Over time, the practice grew and now employs several lawyers and staff members in locations such as Franklin and Nashville.
- Bart was the first Nashville attorney to embrace TV advertising for lawyers when it became legal in 1977.
- Until the early 1990s, Bart’s law office managed various departments, including bankruptcy, criminal, workers’ compensation, and personal injury. However, the profitability of personal injury cases led Bart to phase out the other practice areas.
- Throughout the years, Bart’s law office has secured settlements totaling several million dollars for clients.
Nashville Neighbours Fund
In January 2011, Bart Durham Injury Law Firm agreed to match audience donations “dollar-for-dollar” up to $15,000 for the Nashville Neighbours Fund, which raised money for Nashville bombing victims.
Bart Durham’s firm has participated in various charity events and organizations to help the less privileged. In 2019, they hosted a Haunted Open House in Nashville, where food was collected for community meals. The firm has also offered free lunch for the residents of North Nashville, demonstrating a commitment to giving back to the community.
Although there is no definitive source for Bart Durham’s net worth, it’s evident that he has secured multi-million-dollar settlements throughout his long career.
In summary, Bart Durham is very much alive and continues to make a difference in the lives of his clients and community. With a career spanning over 35 years, he has become a prominent figure in personal injury law and a respected member of the legal community. Despite facing numerous health challenges, Bart has displayed unwavering dedication to his profession and family. As a pioneer in legal advertising, a devoted husband, father, and grandfather, and an active participant in charity work, Bart Durham’s story serves as an inspiration to us all.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Bart Durham’s law firm has participated in various charity events and organizations, such as matching donations for the Nashville Neighbours Fund and hosting a Haunted Open House in Nashville to collect food for community meals.
Is Bart Durham dead?
No, Bart Durham is alive and continues to practice law actively.
When was Bart Durham born?
Bart Durham was born on March 5, 1935, in Ripley, Tennessee.
What type of law does Bart Durham practice?
Bart Durham specializes in personal injury law, including car accidents, construction accidents, motorcycle accidents, premises liability, truck accidents, product liability, serious injury, wrongful death, and workers’ compensation.
What is Bart Durham’s connection to TV advertisements for lawyers?
Bart Durham was the first Nashville attorney to use TV advertisements for promoting legal services after it became legal in 1977. His firm is known for its innovative use of TV commercials and billboards.
What health challenges has Bart Durham faced?
Bart Durham underwent triple bypass surgery in September 2007, has been hospitalized four times, and has had stents placed on three occasions. He experienced kidney failure following his bypass surgery but has since recovered and continues to work.
What charity work has Bart Durham been involved in?
Bart Durham’s law firm has participated in various charity events and organizations, such as matching donations for the Nashville Neighbours Fund and hosting a Haunted Open House in Nashville to collect food for community meals.
Is Bart Durham married?
Yes, Bart Durham is married to his partner, Cindy. They got married in December 2012.
Does Bart Durham have children?
Yes, Bart Durham has two sons, Blair and Colin. Blair is an attorney who works alongside his father and manages the family firm, while Colin is a Samford University graduate married to Michele, also an attorney.
What positions did Bart Durham hold before starting his private practice?
Bart Durham served as an assistant United States Attorney (1966-1969) and as an assistant attorney general in Nashville (1969-1975) before starting his private practice in 1975.
What notable cases did Bart Durham work on during his time as an assistant United States Attorney?
One of Bart Durham’s notable cases during his time as an assistant United States Attorney was the prosecution of the Ku Klux Klan leadership from Jackson, who had robbed a Memphis bank for the Klan.
About The Author
Zeph Grant is a music fanatic. He loves all types of genres and can often be found discussing the latest album releases with friends. Zeph is also a hardcore content creator, always working on new projects in his spare time. He's an amateur food nerd, and loves knowing all sorts of random facts about food. When it comes to coffee, he's something of an expert - he knows all the best places to get a good cup of joe in town.