Last Updated on July 27, 2023
Welcome to our article on how to make delicious Gulab Jamun using pancake mix and milk powder. Gulab Jamun is a popular Indian sweet that is loved by people of all ages. In this article, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to prepare the Gulab Jamun dough, shape the Gulab Jamun balls, and cook them to perfection. We will also guide you on how to make the sugar syrup for soaking the Gulab Jamun and share some serving suggestions and variations. Additionally, we will troubleshoot common issues that may arise while making Gulab Jamun. So, let’s get started and indulge in the heavenly taste of Gulab Jamun!
Ingredients needed for making Gulab Jamun with pancake mix and milk powder
When making Gulab Jamun with pancake mix and milk powder, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1/4 cup ghee or melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon rose water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Oil for deep frying
Note: You can also add a pinch of saffron strands for added flavor and color.
Note: Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature before starting the preparation.
Step-by-step instructions for preparing the Gulab Jamun dough
Preparing the Gulab Jamun dough is a crucial step in making this delicious Indian sweet. Follow these step-by-step instructions to ensure that your Gulab Jamun turns out perfect every time.
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the pancake mix and milk powder. Mix well to ensure that there are no lumps.
Step 2: Gradually add water to the dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough is formed. Be careful not to add too much water, as it can make the dough sticky.
Step 3: Knead the dough gently for a few minutes until it becomes smooth and pliable. This will help develop the gluten in the dough and give the Gulab Jamun a soft texture.
Step 4: Divide the dough into small portions and roll them into smooth balls. Make sure there are no cracks on the surface of the balls, as this can cause them to break while frying.
Step 5: Cover the dough balls with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out while you prepare the sugar syrup and heat the oil for frying.
By following these step-by-step instructions, you will be able to prepare the perfect Gulab Jamun dough for frying. The next step is to shape the dough balls, which we will discuss in the next section.
Tips for shaping the Gulab Jamun balls
Shaping the Gulab Jamun balls is an important step in the preparation process. The shape and size of the balls can greatly affect the final texture and taste of the dessert. Here are some tips to help you shape the perfect Gulab Jamun balls:
- Use a light touch: When shaping the dough into balls, be gentle and avoid applying too much pressure. This will help prevent the balls from becoming dense and heavy.
- Keep your hands moist: To prevent the dough from sticking to your hands, keep them slightly moist. You can dip your fingers in water or oil before shaping each ball.
- Roll the balls smoothly: Roll the dough between your palms in a circular motion to create smooth and even balls. Avoid pressing too hard or squeezing the dough, as this can result in uneven shapes.
- Maintain consistent size: Try to make the Gulab Jamun balls of similar size to ensure even cooking. This will also help in achieving a visually appealing presentation.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Gulab Jamun balls are perfectly shaped and ready to be cooked and soaked in the sugar syrup. Remember, practice makes perfect, so don’t be discouraged if your first attempts are not flawless. With time and experience, you will master the art of shaping Gulab Jamun balls like a pro!
5. Preparing the sugar syrup for soaking the Gulab Jamun
Once you have shaped the Gulab Jamun balls, it’s time to prepare the sugar syrup that will give them their sweet and sticky texture. Follow these steps to make the perfect syrup:
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add a few strands of saffron and a pinch of cardamom powder to the syrup for added flavor. You can also add a few drops of rose water if desired.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool slightly.
It’s important to note that the syrup should be warm when you soak the Gulab Jamun in it. If the syrup is too hot, it can cause the Gulab Jamun to become too soft and break apart. On the other hand, if the syrup is too cold, the Gulab Jamun may not absorb the syrup properly.
Once the syrup has cooled slightly, you can proceed to the next step of soaking the cooked Gulab Jamun in it.
To enhance the article and improve readability, the following bullet points can be used for section 6:
– Heat oil in a deep fryer or a pan over medium heat.
– Test the oil temperature by dropping a small piece of dough into the oil. If it rises to the surface immediately, the oil is ready.
– Gently slide the Gulab Jamun balls into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
– Fry the Gulab Jamun balls until they turn golden brown, turning them occasionally for even cooking.
– Once cooked, remove the Gulab Jamun balls from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
– Allow the Gulab Jamun balls to cool for a few minutes before transferring them to the sugar syrup.
– Repeat the frying process for the remaining Gulab Jamun balls.
– Make sure to adjust the heat as needed to maintain a consistent frying temperature.
– Avoid overcooking the Gulab Jamun balls, as they may become hard and dry.
– Keep a close eye on the frying process to prevent any burning or uneven cooking.
– Once all the Gulab Jamun balls are cooked and soaked in the sugar syrup, let them sit for at least 30 minutes to absorb the flavors.
– Serve the Gulab Jamun warm or at room temperature, garnished with chopped nuts or a sprinkle of cardamom powder, if desired.
Soaking the cooked Gulab Jamun in the sugar syrup
Once the Gulab Jamun balls are cooked to perfection, the next step is to soak them in a delicious sugar syrup. This step is crucial as it adds sweetness and moisture to the Gulab Jamun, making them irresistibly soft and juicy.
To prepare the sugar syrup, you will need a saucepan and the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of rose water (optional)
- A pinch of saffron strands (optional)
In the saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring it to a boil. Stir continuously until the sugar dissolves completely. Once the syrup reaches a one-string consistency, add the rose water and saffron strands for a delightful aroma and flavor.
Gently place the cooked Gulab Jamun balls into the hot sugar syrup. Allow them to soak for at least 30 minutes, but for best results, let them sit overnight. During this time, the Gulab Jamun will absorb the syrup, becoming moist and infused with sweetness.
After soaking, the Gulab Jamun is ready to be served. You can enjoy them warm or at room temperature, garnished with chopped nuts or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgence.
Serving suggestions and variations for Gulab Jamun
Once you have successfully made your Gulab Jamun, it’s time to think about how you want to serve and enjoy them. There are several serving suggestions and variations that you can try to enhance the flavor and presentation of this delicious dessert.
– Serve Gulab Jamun warm or at room temperature.
– Garnish with chopped nuts like almonds or pistachios for added crunch and visual appeal.
– Serve Gulab Jamun with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful combination of hot and cold.
– Drizzle some rose syrup or saffron-infused syrup over the Gulab Jamun for an extra burst of flavor.
– Stuff the Gulab Jamun with a small piece of dry fruit like a cashew or raisin before frying for a surprise element.
– Make mini Gulab Jamun by shaping smaller balls and serving them as bite-sized treats.
– Experiment with different flavors by adding cardamom powder or rose water to the dough.
By trying out these serving suggestions and variations, you can elevate your Gulab Jamun experience and impress your guests with your creativity.
Troubleshooting common issues while making Gulab Jamun
While making Gulab Jamun with pancake mix and milk powder, you may encounter some common issues that can affect the final result. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to help you overcome these problems:
1. Dry or Crumbly Dough:
If your Gulab Jamun dough turns out dry or crumbly, it may be due to insufficient moisture. To fix this, add a little milk or water to the dough and knead it again until it becomes soft and pliable.
2. Sticky Dough:
On the other hand, if your dough is too sticky, it means you have added too much liquid. To fix this, add a small amount of pancake mix or milk powder to absorb the excess moisture and knead the dough until it reaches the right consistency.
These are just a couple of common issues that you may face while making Gulab Jamun. Remember to follow the instructions carefully and make adjustments as needed. With a little practice, you will be able to perfect the art of making delicious Gulab Jamun every time.
Wrapping it Up: The Perfect Gulab Jamun
After following the step-by-step instructions and mastering the art of making Gulab Jamun with pancake mix and milk powder, you are now ready to indulge in this delectable Indian dessert. By combining the right ingredients and following the tips for shaping the Gulab Jamun balls, you have created a dough that is soft and smooth.
Once the Gulab Jamun balls are cooked to perfection in a deep fryer or pan, it is time to soak them in the sugar syrup. This step ensures that the Gulab Jamun becomes moist and infused with the sweet flavors of the syrup.
Now that your Gulab Jamun is ready, it’s time to serve and enjoy. Whether you choose to serve it warm or chilled, Gulab Jamun is a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with ice cream or whipped cream for an extra indulgence.
So, go ahead and impress your friends and family with your newfound culinary skills. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can now make Gulab Jamun like a pro. Happy cooking!
Learn how to make delicious Gulab Jamun using pancake mix and milk powder. Easy step-by-step instructions for a perfect dessert.
About The Author
Alison Sowle is the typical tv guru. With a social media evangelist background, she knows how to get her message out there. However, she's also an introvert at heart and loves nothing more than writing for hours on end. She's a passionate creator who takes great joy in learning about new cultures - especially when it comes to beer!