Last Updated on July 27, 2023
Welcome to our article on how to set cruise control on the 2018 Chevy Equinox. Cruise control is a valuable feature that can enhance your driving experience by allowing you to maintain a consistent speed without having to constantly press the accelerator pedal. In this article, we will explore the benefits of cruise control and guide you through the process of activating and using it on the 2018 Chevy Equinox. We will also provide tips for using cruise control effectively and safely. So, let’s dive in and discover how to make the most of this convenient feature!
Understanding the benefits of cruise control
Cruise control is a feature in vehicles that allows the driver to set a desired speed and maintain it without having to constantly press the accelerator pedal. This can be particularly useful on long drives or when driving on highways with consistent speed limits. Here are some benefits of using cruise control:
- Improved fuel efficiency: By maintaining a constant speed, cruise control can help optimize fuel consumption and save you money at the pump.
- Reduced driver fatigue: With cruise control, you can relax your foot and leg muscles, reducing the strain of long drives and minimizing driver fatigue.
- Consistent speed: Cruise control ensures that you maintain a steady speed, which can be especially helpful in areas with speed limits or when driving in traffic.
- Enhanced safety: By keeping a constant speed, cruise control can help you avoid unintentional speeding and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
Understanding these benefits can help you make the most of cruise control and enhance your driving experience.
Before you can start using cruise control on your 2018 Chevy Equinox, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the cruise control buttons. These buttons are typically located on the steering wheel, making them easily accessible while driving. The specific layout and design of the buttons may vary slightly depending on the model of your Equinox, so it’s a good idea to consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for detailed instructions.
One of the main buttons you’ll need to locate is the “On/Off” button, which is used to activate and deactivate the cruise control system. This button is usually labeled with a small icon that looks like a speedometer with an arrow pointing to it. Once you’ve located the “On/Off” button, you can press it to turn on the cruise control system.
Another important button to familiarize yourself with is the “Set” button. This button is used to set the desired speed when cruise control is activated. It is typically labeled with the word “Set” or a similar symbol. To set the speed, simply press the “Set” button once you’ve reached your desired speed.
Activating cruise control on the 2018 Chevy Equinox
Once you have familiarized yourself with the cruise control buttons on the 2018 Chevy Equinox, it is time to activate the cruise control feature. Activating cruise control is a simple process that can be done while driving.
To activate cruise control, first make sure that you are driving at a speed of at least 25 mph. Then, locate the cruise control button on the steering wheel. It is usually labeled with a symbol that looks like a speedometer with an arrow pointing to it.
Press the cruise control button to turn on the feature. You should see a light on the instrument panel indicating that cruise control is now active. This light is usually labeled with the word “CRUISE” or a similar symbol.
Once cruise control is activated, you can now set your desired speed and let the vehicle maintain it for you. This can be especially useful on long highway drives or when you want to maintain a consistent speed.
Setting the Desired Speed Using Cruise Control:
– Once you have activated cruise control on your 2018 Chevy Equinox, the next step is to set your desired speed. This will allow the vehicle to maintain a constant speed without you having to keep your foot on the accelerator pedal.
– To set the desired speed, locate the “Set” button on the cruise control panel. This button is usually labeled with a symbol that looks like a speedometer with an arrow pointing to it.
– Once you have located the “Set” button, press it to set your desired speed. You can do this while driving or while the vehicle is stationary.
– As you press the “Set” button, pay attention to the speedometer on your dashboard. The current speed will be displayed, and as you continue to press the “Set” button, the speed will increase or decrease depending on your preference.
– Once you have reached your desired speed, release the “Set” button. The cruise control system will now maintain that speed until you manually disengage it or adjust the speed using the accelerator pedal.
– It is important to note that cruise control should only be used on highways or open roads where there is minimal traffic and no sharp turns. Using cruise control in heavy traffic or on winding roads can be dangerous and should be avoided.
6. Adjusting the following distance with adaptive cruise control
One of the advanced features of the 2018 Chevy Equinox’s cruise control system is the adaptive cruise control, which allows you to adjust the following distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you. This feature is especially useful in heavy traffic or on highways where sudden stops may occur.
Here are some steps to adjust the following distance with adaptive cruise control:
- Make sure the adaptive cruise control is activated by pressing the corresponding button on the control panel.
- Locate the following distance adjustment button, which is usually labeled with a car icon and distance indicators.
- Press the button to increase or decrease the following distance. The distance indicators will show the current setting.
- Keep in mind that a shorter following distance provides quicker response time, but may result in more frequent braking. On the other hand, a longer following distance allows for smoother acceleration and deceleration.
- Experiment with different following distances to find the setting that suits your driving style and the traffic conditions.
By adjusting the following distance with adaptive cruise control, you can ensure a safe and comfortable driving experience while enjoying the convenience of cruise control.
Utilizing the resume and cancel functions
Once you have set your desired speed using cruise control, you may need to make adjustments or temporarily disengage the system. The resume function allows you to return to your previously set speed after you have cancelled cruise control. To use this function, simply press the resume button. The vehicle will accelerate to the speed you had previously set.
If you need to temporarily disengage cruise control, you can use the cancel function. This will turn off the cruise control system without erasing your previously set speed. To cancel cruise control, press the cancel button. This can be useful in situations where you need to quickly slow down or maneuver around obstacles.
It is important to note that the resume and cancel functions may vary depending on the specific model of the 2018 Chevy Equinox. It is recommended to consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for detailed instructions on how to use these functions.
Disengaging cruise control when necessary
While cruise control can be a convenient feature, there are times when it is necessary to disengage it. It is important to know how to do this properly to ensure your safety on the road.
To disengage cruise control on the 2018 Chevy Equinox, simply press the brake pedal. This will deactivate the cruise control system and allow you to regain control of the vehicle. It is important to note that pressing the brake pedal will not turn off the cruise control system completely, but rather put it in standby mode.
If you need to completely turn off the cruise control system, you can do so by pressing the cruise control button on the steering wheel. This will fully disengage the system and prevent it from automatically maintaining your speed.
It is also important to disengage cruise control in certain driving conditions, such as heavy traffic, inclement weather, or when approaching a toll booth or exit ramp. By disengaging cruise control in these situations, you can maintain better control of your vehicle and react quickly to any unexpected situations.
Tips for using cruise control effectively and safely
Using cruise control can be a convenient and efficient way to maintain a steady speed while driving. However, it is important to use it effectively and safely to avoid any potential risks. Here are some tips to help you make the most out of your cruise control experience:
1. Pay attention to the road
Even though cruise control can help you maintain a constant speed, it is crucial to stay alert and keep your eyes on the road at all times. Do not rely solely on cruise control to navigate through traffic or unexpected situations.
2. Use cruise control on open roads
Cruise control is best suited for long stretches of open road with minimal traffic. Avoid using it in heavy traffic or congested areas where you may need to frequently adjust your speed.
Remember, cruise control is a tool to assist you, not replace your responsibility as a driver. Always prioritize safety and use your best judgment when using cruise control.
Conclusion: Cruise control is a valuable feature that can greatly enhance your driving experience in the 2018 Chevy Equinox. By allowing you to maintain a consistent speed without having to constantly adjust the accelerator, cruise control can help reduce fatigue and improve fuel efficiency. It is important to familiarize yourself with the cruise control buttons and understand how to activate and adjust the settings to suit your preferences. Remember to always set a safe and appropriate speed, and use the adaptive cruise control feature to maintain a safe following distance. The resume and cancel functions can come in handy when you need to temporarily disengage or reactivate cruise control. Lastly, it is crucial to know when to disengage cruise control, such as in heavy traffic or inclement weather conditions. By following these tips and using cruise control effectively and safely, you can enjoy a more relaxed and enjoyable driving experience in your Chevy Equinox.Learn how to set cruise control on the 2018 Chevy Equinox for a safe and convenient driving experience.
About The Author
Alison Sowle is the typical tv guru. With a social media evangelist background, she knows how to get her message out there. However, she's also an introvert at heart and loves nothing more than writing for hours on end. She's a passionate creator who takes great joy in learning about new cultures - especially when it comes to beer!